Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

Re: Georgia Midland Railroad / Georgia Southern Railway

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed May 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Haven't been around in a long time; great news! How has the Dover-Metter line been doing?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby G&Fman » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 am

Line is cleared all the way to Atlantic Wood in Vidalia. However, with politics sticking its ugly head in things, only the section from Swainsboro to just south of Nunez will get rehabbed. Disappointment, once again.
Long hood forward forever!

Long live the G&F!

NS carman
Savannah, GA
G&Fman

Postby mterrell » Wed May 08, 2013 7:04 pm

The engine in downtown Statesboro is gone. Does anyone know when it was moved?
I saw it as recently as last week so it must have been very recent. It looked like it was in really bad shape. Wonder where it is.
mterrell

Postby ashley2771 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 pm

I have no idea... it was there week before last... perhaps went back to Americus?
ashley2771

Postby G&Fman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

Wow, I just saw it a few days ago! Engine is owned by the HOG in Americus so that's where it'll be going I bet. It's about time though, the cab door and windows were open, along with some access doors on the other side.
Long hood forward forever!

Long live the G&F!

NS carman
Savannah, GA
G&Fman

Postby ashley2771 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am

any updates on the section they are going to rehab?
ashley2771

Postby ashley2771 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:57 am

had the opportunity to visit Statesboro yesterday and rails were busy, four loaded cars at Howard Lumber, with two empties outside; several on the Southern States siding; one at the Tillman-Brannen-Minick siding, and three at Statesboro grain...
ashley2771

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Are any of the former SCL buildings still in use or standing, like around Macon, Vidalia or Dublin? And any idea what happened to the former SCL people that were working there when
that line got sold off? I know the Roadmaster was a guy named Moncus, who's probably dead by now, and was headquartered in Vidalia.
Freddy

Postby ashley2771 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 am

I think the Georgia Central used the former freight house in Vidalia as their offices until about 2004, when they built a new office in Lyons next to their shop. The old offices were moved and are still in Vidalia but not sure exactly where. Not sure about Macon and Dublin.
ashley2771

Postby Freddy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 am

ashley2771 wrote:I think the Georgia Central used the former freight house in Vidalia as their offices until about 2004, when they built a new office in Lyons next to their shop. The old offices were moved and are still in Vidalia but not sure exactly where. Not sure about Macon and Dublin.

OK, Thanks
Freddy

Postby ashley2771 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Sorry to hear that but not surprising...there is a structure in Pembroke that is now the Chamber of Commerce that looks like it may have been a railroad building, its looks rather like a tower: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1187488

There is also the City Hall in Ailey, Ga. which may have been a former SCL building: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1129157
ashley2771

Postby Freddy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 pm

The depot in Kingsland Ga, where I used to work out of the Roadmasters office, is now the welcome center.
Freddy

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:49 pm

I've been back down there a couple times since I relocated back to New York, but I haven't been able to find anything on power; all I've seen is a few centerbeams at Howard's and a few tankers at Bulloch Fertilizer, as well as tankers at GAF. I've been up to Dover, but there's been nothing there. I've also headed down to Metter and seen nothing.

What's been going on there lately? Where would they be parking the power? And has Metter been getting anything?
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby ashley2771 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:13 pm

That I know of, the power is usually parked at Dover, occasionally on the tracks outside Howard Lumber... not aware of power being anywhere else...
ashley2771

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:44 pm

I was actually down last weekend, and found both GASR units!

701 was just south of GAF on the north end of the passing siding, very close to the dirt circle. And man, does GAF look busy! There were something like six cars stacked up on the siding, and another three or so on the far southern end of the passing siding.

The other unit (20-something?) was down at Southern States on the main. Southern States had a bunch of cars.

I saw from 301 the weird maintenance car, about midway between the passing siding and Southern States. Guess they would have took the 701 down to clear that for any return trip on Southern States by the other engine.

At Dover, it looked like NS were stashing or picking up cars, including GAF tankers and hoppers for Southern States, down at the far/inaccessible end of Dover. This was on Saturday. They were moving slow, so I didn't stick around.

Howard had a couple/three center-beams on their siding. Didn't check BF.

My most excited find, however, was the forlorn "Thomas"! It's just off Kyle Sorrell road at the intersection with Maria Sorrell Rd at the old metal fabrication plant! There's a siding there for the propane dealer that's not used; they stashed it on there. The old siding downtown is well overgrown now. Pity, would make a good team track.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Next stop, Willoughby
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military