Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

Re: Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:33 pm

The GSR continues to be busy; with G&W acquiring the HoG, I wonder if they have any interest in this line, too, which is definitely picking up busy. One thing I heard today, which I wasn't aware of and haven't verified, is that the GSR line is still owned by NS, but leased out to GSR. The state rail map confirms it's not GA owned, at least.

A couple weeks ago, I saw the 701 alone parked down in Metter, presumably serving the scrap plant. I have seen some low open wagons going through town. I want to say there were probably about 6 or 7, but they didn't look particularly loaded. They could well have been hoppers for/from Southern States, which I have seen come in. It is construction season after all. But for now, Metter appears to still be active. Interesting to see the two GP's separated like that. I'm not sure why operationally they needed to do that.

Last week, I saw a 22-car consist coming right through town. About 6 center-beams, and a good number of open hoppers and tank cars (GAF), along with one covered hopper. I've noticed over the last year that the GSR will stash tank cars pretty much up and down the line for GAF, bringing them off of formerly disused sidings as needed rather than filling the entire siding south of GAF at Gateway.

Out of curiosity, over the weekend I took a ride out behind Great Dane to see what was going on with the new development that's been talked about. It looks like the plastics plant is open or just about to. The first time I went by, their spur was still empty, but over the weekend it had a covered hopper, so they're beginning to get service! It's quite a setup; a couple of really long sidings, with a switch installed for a third track (although nothing of the third track has been laid; this might be for another business?).

The plastics plant is here in the open field to the right (North) of Great Dane: https://goo.gl/maps/Nuz38FDg6Eu the road is now paved, and runs all the way past GAF from AJ Riggs to JC Cannady. The spur comes in north of the private residence/pool/lake, behind and below just a bit the Dollar General. You have to run past the spur south, then back into it (the spur curves off to the North and West).

Downtown's going to be getting busy...

Here's some pics of the new siding:
Attachments
IMG_0113.JPG
Yard Spur Lead
IMG_0111.JPG
Crossing
IMG_0112.JPG
Yard
IMG_0110.JPG
Hopper
IMG_0108.JPG
Plant
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed May 03, 2017 1:54 pm

The days of 20+ consists are here! I'm a dork, I'm so excited. Today's run back to Dover had 24 total cars (first time I've seen 20+). 3 center-beams (Howard's), 2 Hoppers (the new plastics plant), and the remaining 19 open hoppers from Southern States and tank cars from GAF. This consist could easily have been bigger. The new plastics plant had 13 some odd cars on their sidings yesterday, and I've seen Howard loads bigger.

Cannady Rd crossing continues to be a popular stashing point for cars/consists depending on work. Last night saw two hoppers/no power. I've also seen them stashed on the Yard lead.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military