Book About RDCs?

Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.

Book About RDCs?

Postby jhdeasy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 am

I would like to buy a book about RDCs. I see there are two that might be good:

"RDC: The Budd Rail Diesel Car" by Donald Duke & Edmund Keilty

"Budd Car: The RDC Story" by Chuck Crouse

Any opinions on which of these two books is the better book?
jhdeasy

Re: Book About RDCs?

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:49 am

Published at the same time, the Crouse book is now worth about six times more new on Amazon.com.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jhdeasy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:14 pm

3rdrail wrote:Published at the same time, the Crouse book is now worth about six times more new on Amazon.com.

I did check Amazon.com earlier today and saw the huge price disparity between the two books, which is one of the reasons for my question.
jhdeasy

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 pm

What it really comes down to is your own personal taste, JD. For the Crouse book, that's worth an investigatory trip to your library to check it out. I am familiar with Crouse, not with the others. All things being even, the number of published copies of each is wherein lies your answer.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby fl9m2026 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 pm

The Duke/Kielty book is very good, but it has data mistakes, especially in many photo captions. The Crouse book is the quintissential volume on RDC's, especially since it is all color and has the excellent and beautifully rendered "RDC Phase" (Phase 1, 1B, 1C, Phase 2) detailed comparison drawings... although I really would've preferred larger-format pics. The Crouse book in hardcover is the ideal RDC book (I was cheap 20 years ago when I got mine in softcover... with as much as I read and refer to it, the spine has taken quite a beating).
"You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece! Did your parents have any children that lived?" R. Lee Ermey
fl9m2026

Postby edbear » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

The Crouse book also features at least one photo of an RDC on each of the roads that owned them. So there are some great shots of lines that only owned one like DM & IR, DW & P, SP and M-K-T.
edbear

Postby jhdeasy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm pleased to report that I recently purchased a new copy of Chuck Crouse's book for $125 (including shipping) from a railroad book dealer in New Jersey. An excellent book!
jhdeasy

Postby JayBee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:01 am

Donald Duke was the man behind Golden West Publishing, a company that published a lot of western railroad books.
JayBee

Return to Self-Propelled Railcars