RDC-4

Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.

RDC-4

Postby EMD567 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:48 pm

What roads purchased RDC-4's? How many still survive & where? I don't have much RDC material in my collection to answer this. Reference to a CN car on order is all I could find.
EMD567
 

Postby missthealcos » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:42 pm

There were 14 built, I believe only one, Via 6250, former CN(freshly rebuilt I might add), is the only one in service anywhere. There are 2 CP cars in exsistance that I know of, one in the Canadian Railway Museum in Delson Quebec, the other in Limbo...may have even been scrapped. The 2 were stored for years, until recently. I believe at least half or more that were produced went to CN or CP. I'll have to look up exactly who had what, and when
missthealcos
 

RDC-4

Postby eddiebear » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:50 am

The New Haven had at least 3. The Minneapolis & St. Louis had two that had a tiny coach section fabricated into one end to handle whatever passenger business remained on the Minneapolis-Watertown, SD route. Later swapped to C & O for some hopper cars.
eddiebear
 

Postby railfanofewu » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:10 pm

I was thinking about the idea of a modern RDC-3 or RDC-4. Up here in Washington State, their has just been completed a favorable study about purchasing the Palouse River and Coulee City Railroad. It did not say anything about passenger service. But if the State wanted to, as they are upgrading there own RR, they could put in the improvements for some passenger service, and use DMUs at first. I was thinking, there is a college town, Pullman on the route. Home to Washington State University, and I think if the track were upgraded, it would get good ridership. Also, there are a lot of students there, and if they get mail, it would be prudent to send it by train instead of Truck from Spokane. Probably just a pipe dream. Too bad not too many RDC-4s were built.
User avatar
railfanofewu
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa.

RDC-4's

Postby NHRDC121 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:56 pm

New Haven (3), 135, (first RDC-4 blt. 5/53), 136, 137

CN (6), D150, D151, D451, D452, D4401, D402

CP (3), 9200, 9250, 9251

M&StL (2), 32, 33

These are origional numbers.
NHRDC121
 

Postby wigwagfan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:36 pm

railfanofewu wrote:I was thinking about the idea of a modern RDC-3 or RDC-4. Up here in Washington State, their has just been completed a favorable study about purchasing the Palouse River and Coulee City Railroad. It did not say anything about passenger service. But if the State wanted to, as they are upgrading there own RR, they could put in the improvements for some passenger service, and use DMUs at first. I was thinking, there is a college town, Pullman on the route. Home to Washington State University, and I think if the track were upgraded, it would get good ridership. Also, there are a lot of students there, and if they get mail, it would be prudent to send it by train instead of Truck from Spokane. Probably just a pipe dream. Too bad not too many RDC-4s were built.


Given that Pullman is not an EAS subsidized community, and that Pullman has a fairly decent sized post office, my guess is that much of the mail is flown in from Seattle - which helps prop up the three daily Horizon Air flights.

But buying 80 miles of track is one thing, what would be the cost to upgrade it to 79 MPH operation? And then to operate passenger trains on it? Even in reading WSDOT's own rail publications, the focus in the last year or so has moved away from passenger operations (mainly focusing on select improvements in the existing I-5 corridor, nothing new on the cross-state routes) and more towards freight rail (as an alternative to upgrading highways). The cross-state 403(b) train seems to have disappeared as well.
User avatar
wigwagfan
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:57 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby ENR3870 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:55 am

The RDC-4 did not carry any passengers, with the exception of some customized RDC-4's, they were designed to carry baggage and mail only. There is only one RDC-4 that I know of that is still in opreation. VIA RDC4 6250 in use on the Sudbury-White River RDC run.
Tyler W.
ENR3870
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:49 am
Location: At the switch

Postby Tom6921 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:47 pm

As of March 2007, there are still at least three RDC-4s running. 6250 is still with VIA. One is at Exporail in Delson, Quebec. The other one I saw from a VIA train coupled with an RDC-9 in VIA colours.
Tom6921
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: RDC-4

Postby espeefoamer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Does the Via RDC4 still carry mail,or only baggage?I thought RPO service was dead in Canada.This is exciting news to learn of an operating RDC4!
espeefoamer
 

Re: RDC-4

Postby ENR3870 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 pm

espeefoamer wrote:Does the Via RDC4 still carry mail,or only baggage?I thought RPO service was dead in Canada.This is exciting news to learn of an operating RDC4!

It's all baggage, no RPO.
Tyler W.
ENR3870
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:49 am
Location: At the switch

Re: RDC-4

Postby JimBoylan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:21 pm

One of the M&St.L RDC-4s wound up in the Boston & Maine North Station, Boston, Mass. yards. It was apparently scrapped while the station was shut down for drawbridge work late in the 1900s.
JimBoylan
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: RDC-4

Postby TomNelligan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:23 pm

JimBoylan wrote:One of the M&St.L RDC-4s wound up in the Boston & Maine North Station, Boston, Mass. yards. It was apparently scrapped while the station was shut down for drawbridge work late in the 1900s.


It had been purchased by the US affiliate of a German company called Krautkramer for conversion into an ultrasonic rail test car similar to Sperry's. (I knew Krautkramer well since they were the major competitor to my employer, Panametrics, in the field of industrial ultrasonics.) The conversion never went through and the car wound up in storage on the B&M, and was then used for many years as a crew office at North Station. It was indeed scrapped during the North Station reconstruction following the drawbridge fire, however that was in 1984, not in the 1990s.
TomNelligan
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: Massachusetts


Return to Self-Propelled Railcars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests