Aerial View of Atlantic City operation

General discussion about fallen trolley and interurban lines in North America, past and present.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Aerial View of Atlantic City operation

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Here's a nice shot of the old Atlantic City, NJ trolley system showing the barn, terminal, rightof way, etc.;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37640374@N ... otostream/
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Re: Aerial View of Atlantic City operation

Postby Aa3rt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Excellent photo Paul! I couldn't help note the baseball stadium across the street from the trolley barn. In trying to date the photo, I found this link from Baseball-Reference.com listing organized baseball operations in Atlantic City:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/team.cgi?city=Atlantic%20City&state=NJ&country=US

Also note the building just below the stadium on the beach-if I've managed to make it out correctly it reads Curtiss Flying Station which makes me think it must have been a terminal for seaplanes in a much more adventerous age.
Art Audley, AA3RT
Moderator: Railroad Radio & Communications, Railroads in Books, Magazines, Music, TV and other Media, General Discussion: Fallen Trolley & Interurban Lines, General Discussion: Shortline, Industrial & Military Railroads,
Aa3rt

Re: Aerial View of Atlantic City operation

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Would one of those cars sticking out of the end of that barn be one of the famous "Brill Liners" ? They were handsome cars.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Trolley and Interurban Lines