Ft Worth TX,Tandy Corp shuttle

General discussion about fallen trolley and interurban lines in North America, past and present.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Ft Worth TX,Tandy Corp shuttle

Postby StevieC48 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm

I remember this line ran originaly from a department store to a off sit parking lot. THe first cars were PCC's looking like a colorful diner,their components and cars were from Boston PCC cars as well as others, they had their bodies replaced in later years to a boxier type car that remained a PCC under the hood but retired in 2002 with the box style car. My question I have was there any of their cars saved? If so where and is there any photos?? I know there is some remains of the line stations and row trackage. Thanks for any help or knowledge given. Stevie :-D
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Re: Ft Worth TX,Tandy Corp shuttle

Postby octr202 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 pm

McKinney Ave. in Dallas has one:

http://www.mata.org/143specs.htm
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Aa3rt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Here are some photos of these cars in action on Tandy (Leonard's) Subway.

Photos courtesy of Dave's Railpix:

http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/tx/tx.htm#tandy
Art Audley, AA3RT
Moderator: Railroad Radio & Communications, Railroads in Books, Magazines, Music, TV and other Media, General Discussion: Fallen Trolley & Interurban Lines, General Discussion: Shortline, Industrial & Military Railroads,
Aa3rt

Postby Jollygreenslugg » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 am

The cars were ex-Washington DC from memory.
Jollygreenslugg

Postby HarryN » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Cars for Tandy ( really the Old O&M Subway) came from MDC and Boston. In the last renovation, the cars were stripped to the frame for construction of the "Winnebago" style additions. All were more modernized with platform level doors, side seating, short trolley poles (for the subway). and at least one car was saved with the original sheet fluted sides. It now is a part of a Leonard brothers Museum near the old Montgomery building/warehouse in Ft Worth. A daughter of the Leonards has set up a nice small museum showing the products once sold by the Leonard Brothers and is well worth seeing.

As to other cars saved, North Texas Historic Transit non-profit group has 4 in storage at The T lot in Ft Worth.

HarryN
HarryN

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Trolley and Interurban Lines