Jersey City, PSCT on Ocean Avenue??

General discussion about fallen trolley and interurban lines in North America, past and present.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Jersey City, PSCT on Ocean Avenue??

Postby bellstbarn » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Around 1946, my Dad and I toured most of the Public Service streetcar lines in Hudson County. I know of no route on Ocean Avenue, which runs parallel to the Jackson car line in Greenville. Yet there is an NJ Transit bus 81 from Exchange Place to Bayonne, using Ocean Avenue through Greenville and Avenue C through Bayonne. On a map, it looks suspiciously like a route that was a streetcar long ago, because of its origin at Exchange Place and its directness. I don't have a copy of that excellent compendium of all PSCT trolley lines (Hamm), but would anyone happen to know whether this route was at some time a trolley line?
Thanks. Joe McMahon
bellstbarn

Postby AndyB » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:41 pm

Ocean Ave did have a car line, the "Greenville" line.

From Exchange Place - Montgomery St to Washington St. to Grand St. to Ocean Ave to Merritt ST to Ave.C (Bayonne) to Bergen Point / Staten Island Ferry.

One of the oldest routes in Jersey City. Started as horse car line late 1850s.
1870s saw the use of small steam locos pulling trailers.

Last street cars ran in the late 30s.

I wonder if this would qualify as the oldest operating route for New Jersey Transit.
Knowledge has no value, unless shared with others.
AndyB

Postby bellstbarn » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:06 am

Many thanks, Andy B, for sharing your knowledge. You have answered several puzzles at once. Much appreciated.
Joe McMahon
bellstbarn

Re: Jersey City, PSCT on Ocean Avenue??

Postby HBLR » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:49 am

There are still supports for the trolly wire here and there. They are painted green and many of them are used to support traffic lights or data cables.
No I'm not a railroad professional, but that doesn't mean I can't provide first hand observational comments.
HBLR

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Trolley and Interurban Lines