List of New England Trolley Lines?

General discussion about fallen trolley and interurban lines in North America, past and present.

Moderator: Aa3rt

List of New England Trolley Lines?

Postby trainsinmaine » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Is there a list to be found anywhere of the old trolley/interurban lines that used to exist in New England, or perhaps separate lists for each individual state? It can be very difficult to find many of the old ROWs.
trainsinmaine

Re: List of New England Trolley Lines?

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Not perfect, but an indispensible book for any traction buff - The Trolley and Interurban Directory by Joseph Gross. Amazon.com wants about $50 for it. I got mine for $20 at a train show a few years ago. (This is a list of companys by state, start/end dates, where their corporate hq was, etc. - no maps.)
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby edbear » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 pm

McGraw-Hill printed a directory about 1924 and it was reprinted about 1980. You might find copies of the reprint at train shows in this area. Kevin Farrell in Billerica has lots of out of print publications dealing with area traction companies. George Hilton's opus on the Electric Interurban Railway in America, printed about 1960 has a state by state listing of interurbans and interurban-like operations. This also shows up at trains shows every now and then. Try the store at Seashore Trolley Museum. The Hilton book does not deal with city operations unless that had an interurban affiliate.
edbear

Postby The EGE » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 am

A couple of no-longer-active Wikipedia editors assembled some neat lists.

Impressive list of MA and RI lines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SPUI/ ... _companies

Lots of Connecticut Company stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NE2/C ... ut_Company
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby MaineCoonCat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I found a very interesting map at the State Library of Massachusetts entitled "Map of the street railways of the state of Massachusetts: accompanying the report of the Joint Special Committee on the Transportation Facilities of Western Massachusetts". The url is http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/50833. The map looks really small but moving your mouse pointer over it brings up a good and very readable enlargement of the area under the pointer. Move your pointer S L O W L Y for best results! Map is dated January 1913.
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby The EGE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:54 am

This category on Commons has a number of old trolley maps of Massachusetts, including the 1899 and 1913 versions of that map.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby MaineCoonCat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:02 pm

The EGE wrote:This category on Commons has a number of old trolley maps of Massachusetts, including the 1899 and 1913 versions of that map.

Thanks for the pointer!

Many years ago when I worked for Image, a co-worker gave me some copies of some local (eastern Massachusetts) street maps showing streetcar & trolley lines from a book of maps called "Pilot's Maps" or something similar. Sadly for me, over the years these copies got lost. Anyone ever heard of this publication and/or know where I might be able to purchase or otherwise obtain copies?

AdvaTHANKSnce!
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby charding » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am

Another book to look at for Massachusetts is Stephen Carlson's and Thomas Harding's book, 'From Boston to the Berkshires - A Pictorial Review of Electric Transportation in Massachusetts' - also a couple of old maps…published in 1990.
charding

Return to General Discussion: Fallen Trolley and Interurban Lines